The Flood Bucket Challenge
In cooperation with The LCMS Disaster Response program of Synod, The Florida-Georgia District invites your Congregation to join the joint effort to create two thousand (2,000) or more prepared Flood Buckets to assist LCMS Disaster Response mercy efforts to those affected by flooding. There is no set limit to the number of Flood Buckets your Congregation prepares. The District is asking that each Congregation try to put together at least fifteen (15) Flood Buckets.
The program is as follows:
- As a congregation, decide how many Flood Buckets you wish to put together. Each Flood Bucket costs about $15 to $20 to prepare and most supplies can be picked up at a “Dollar store.” Each congregation is asked to transport their completed buckets to rallying point for pickup. We are told that this endeavor qualifies for startup costs as a Thrivent Action Team project.
- Sign up on the form below. Be ready to give us your point of contact for your Congregation and their contact information. We will need this to coordinate information for the rallying point. The District office will arrange LCMS bucket stickers and devotionals to be sent to your point of contact for the number of Flood Buckets you indicate in your registration.
- Download preparation instructions from the District website.
- Once you have your contents in hand, prepare stickers that list the contents of your buckets. A template is available below
- Advertise the program within your Congregation. Bulletin Inserts can be downloaded below.
- Coordinate the volunteers to put the Flood Buckets together. Please ensure your buckets have lids and that you use a rubber mallet to seal the lids. Put both the LCMS Disaster Response sticker and the Content sticker on each bucket. Take pictures of the event and share them with the District office.
- Put the buckets in storage and let the District office know how many you have ready. The District will apprise all congregations of the plan to bring them to a Circuit Rally point and then coordinate the pickup. The target date for the Rally of Flood Buckets will be on or near April 18, 2016.
- Look for information in Lutheran Life and on the District web site to see the work of many hands in acts of mercy toward our fellow man. For further information contact the District office and ask to speak with John Elliott, or contact the overall program coordinator, Joel Mathews, at 813-215-8098 or email@example.com.