Start New Pathway
Don’t let this pathway overwhelm you. Trails are best conquered one step at a time and with a guide! We can help you scale this to whatever God is inviting you to “start new.”
Below are the steps for a basic pathway to a new outreach, ministry, or a new church. These are subject to realities of context and culture and are offered only as a “map” to reach your goal. You will want to define the goal God is calling you to achieve. We are here to help you custom-design a map that fits your situation and goal.
- What is God calling you to start?
- Take a Personal Prayer Retreat
- Gather a Prayer Team
As God confirms your burden/vision…
- Meet with Mission Exec to share the dream/vision and to brainstorm
- We are here to help & guide you on the pathway!
- Gather mission field demographics
- Invite Mission Exec to share New Start concepts
- Church leadership group
- Interested lay leaders
- Equip Congregation Leaders & Members
- Theology and Best Practices for Launching Congregations: Churches Planting Churches
- Starting New in FLGA District
- Funding the New Start
- Secure Congregation Commitment
- Develop a Basic Plan and Timeline with your Coach or Mission Exec
- Planter Indifitacation, Assessment, and Training
- Identify a Potential Planter
- Assess the Planter
- Train the Planter w/ a Team
- Church Planting Essentials
- Team Recruitment & Discipleship
- Missionary Pathway
- Develop Community Connections
- Ministry Development
- Ministry Teams
- Discipleship for Leaders
- Develop Mission Leaders
- Vision and Planning for Launch
- Tentative timeline
- Administrative Details (as appropriate)
- Articles of Incorporation
- 501(c)3 (LCMS Umbrella)
- Federal Employee Identification Number (EIN)
- State Sales Tax Exemption
- Treasurer’s Manual
- Checking Account
- Communication Plan
- Intent to Transfer Letter
- Secure Facility
- Soft Launch & Follow-up (if appropriate)
- Launch Publicity
- Post-Launch Planning
- Systems development (if appropriate)
- Outreach, Connections, Worship, Discipleship, Pastoral Care, Ministry Placement, Generosity, Multiplication, Evaluation
- Place/space planning
- Multiplying Leadership
- Staffing Plan (non-paid/paid)
- Becoming an LCMS Congregation (if appropriate)
- Charter as an LCMS Congregation
- “Start New” planning (multiplication)
- Where is your next “there?”
This pathway is adaptable to your new start model.
Kingdom Seed Investments are one-time mission start-up investments intended to help established congregations, existing ministries, and new starts begin new ministries to reach new people in new locations. Kingdom Seed Investments are to be used for outreach projects that are long-term and self-sustaining beyond the initial Kingdom Seed Investment.
View more information about Kingdom Seed Investments.
– – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – –
The FLGA District offers Zero Percent Interest Mission Loans to congregations who intend to start new mission work. These loans may be applied for up to $150,000 and are repayable for up to 20 years. Congregations wishing to apply for a Mission Loan will submit a mission plan, financial statements, and a statement of partnership with the District.
Consult with Rev. Dr. Peter Meier, Executive Director of Missions and Outreach, prior to applying.